C&J Greenwood London Map 1830

Christopher (1786–1855) and John Greenwood (fl.1821–1840) were brother cartographers who produced large-scale maps of England and Wales in the 1820s. Their partnership began in 1821, using the imprint "C.&J.Greenwood".

You can see a magnificent version of their large scale map of London in 1830 online, here

 

Reproduced below is a section of this map showing the Cloudesley area just at the moment that it was being developed from largely agricultural land into the Georgian streets and houses we know today - a modern map of the area roughly covered by the Cloudesley Association is shown alongside for comparison.  Note that the area to the West of the Cloudesley development is largely fields and what eventually became Lonsdale Square was in 1830 a cattle yard bordered by a workhouse to the North!  Pulteney Street and Pulteney Terrace have been obliterated (I think due to bomb damage) and subsumed within Barnard Park.  While to the South, White Conduit House was the venue for a dinner to celebrate the pardon of the Tolpuddle martyrs in 1836 and White Conduit Fields nearby was the birthplace of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).

Greenwood Cloudesley Map 1830

Cloudesley area2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, a minor mystery.  The engravings of the exterior and interior of Holy Trinity Church below, familiar to users of this website, are by CJ Greenwood and H Greenwood respectively.  Are these gentlemen connected in any way with the C & J Greenwood brothers?  Despite much Googling, I can't find out.  Does anyone know?

Church Interior H Greenwood 1850

Church CJ Greenwood 1850

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More maps and more about White Conduit House

Here's two more early maps, from 1817 and 1835 respectively.  In 1817 building in the Cloudesley Estate had not started whereas by 1835 it was about three-quarters completed.  Note that the Albion Tea House - now the Albion Pub on Thornhill Road - is clearly marked in both maps.  In 1817 it overlooked a cricket field - presumably connected to White Conduit House - see below.

Map 1817

Map 1835

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here's one more map from 1817, engraved by G Alexander.

Map 1817 darton03b

 

White Conduit House started life in the late 17th century as a tea garden where city dwellers could escape for the grassy fields and relatively clean air of Islington.  According to Oliver Goldsmith it was a site where "the inhabitants of London often assemble to celebrate a feast of hot rolls and butter".  For over a century from  the 1750s to the 1850s the curved front of White Conduit House and its pleasure gardens hosted not just cricket matches but a wide range of entertainments of all kinds, as illustrated in the images below.

White Conduit House With BalloonWhite Conduit House Long RoomCricket Match White Conduit House 1788

 

Charles Booth's Poverty Maps

Charles Booth was a remarkable Victorian who, amongst other achievements, produced a series of maps of London with the streets colour-coded to indicate levels of poverty and wealth.  LSE has a superb website where you can view the maps online and also access the notebooks of investigators who compiled the data on which the maps are based, often by accompanying local policemen on their beats.  Illustrated below is the Booth map of the Cloudesley area in 1898-99, together with extracts from the notebooks of one George Duckworth, accompanied by Inspector Arthur Mason.  Highlights include brothels around Chapel Market, gambling throughout the area, and herds of cows, sheep and pigs wandering the streets!  Perhaps surprisingly, the map of the Cloudesley Estate is coded as predominantly "Fairly Comfortable. Good ordinary earnings.", with an enclave of "Middle class. Well to do." at the North end of Stonefield Street and Lonsdale Square!

Booth Map Legend

Booth Map Cloudesley

Booth Notebook Chapel

Booth Notebook Milner

Booth Notebook CloudesleyBooth Notebook Animals