This is an experimental demonstration of how research material from the Cloudesley Church Crypt Project might be organised and displayed.


16 Cloudesley Square - a House Through Time

Immediately in front of Holy Trinity Church, 16 Cloudesley Square is a typical four story Georgian Islington terraced house, built for a middle class family, falling into rack and ruin towards the end of the 19th century, and remaining as a relatively run down, multi-occupancy dwelling until the 1980s when it was reborn as the bijou property it is today through the wonders of gentrification!  You can download below a spreadsheet listing what is known of the past residents and history of the house, and click on the links to bring up stories about particular residents.

Download 16 Cloudesley Square Timeline


John Emmett - the original builder who went on to live just across the Square at No 1.

George Snell - a boarder who ended up as a colliery manager in Yorkshire

James Christopher Chesterman - the Chestermans were long time residents of No 16 and many family members lived nearby 

Charles Arthur Holland-Goodwin - born illegitimate in the local workhouse, by 1961 Charles was living at No 16, married and gainfully employed - a truly redemptive tale!


The Hoare Family

Mary Ann Blizard Hoare was born and died an infant (probably stillborn) at in 1834 at 21 Cloudesley Square in 1834.  The Hoare family tale is one of rags to riches with a dark twist!

Download Hoare Family History


19th Century History Timeline

The chart below traces key events and trends throughout the late Georgian and Victorian periods.  It has been created to give a context to the other stories about the Cloudesley Estate in the 19th Century, as presumably reflecting what residents were experiencing and talking about at the time.

Timeline 1


Timeline 2


The London Fever Hospital

As illustrated above, 19th century London was rife with infectious diseases.  As part of the fight against the waves of epidemics sweeping across the capital, especially in the 1830s and 1840s, the London Fever Hospital was opened on Liverpool Road opposite Cloudesley Square in 1848.  One hundred years later it joined the NHS as the Royal Free Hospital, closing down in 1975.  After staying empty for a few years it was re-opened as the handsome housing development we know today.  This major landmark next to the Cloudesley Estate has a fascinating history described in the attached article:

Download "London Fever Hospital, Liverpool Road"

For more details, including extensive descriptions of the redevelopment, see this LocalLocalHistory website.

Engraving 1848